Gardening and the Environment
Helping you do more for the environment
* We sell peat free composts
* We can help you to encourage the birds and wildlife in your garden with our wide range of products
* If you plant trees and shrubs they will help to lock up carbon. Did you know that a mature tree will absorb approximately 48 lbs of Carbon a year, and will give out enough oxygen to sustain two people!
At Brookfields we are looking to make a real commitment to becoming a greener, more environmentally friendly company. We already do our best to recycle everything we can as well as offering to recycle our customer’s plant pots but we felt that we could be more efficient with our energy consumption. As a plant retailer we are fortunate that our primary product is not just carbon neutral but actually has a positive impact on the environment, however as a responsible business we understand that we should still do everything we can to reduce our energy use and carbon output
We are aiming to reduce our energy usage, through a combination of investment in greener and more effiecient technologies, increased monitoring of our energy consumption and increased staff awareness.. All this should be possible with no interruption or negative effect to our customers, and hopefully may even improve our general efficiency.
Some of the specific areas we hope to improve upon include:
• Increased training of our staff to ensure all equipment is unplugged and turned off when not being used.
• Monitoring our energy consumption more closely and having it divided between the different sections so we can identify patterns and waste quicker.
• Utilize existing power saving options in our current equipment, such as setting computers to enter standby mode or shut off entirely if not used for prolonged periods.
• Replacing lighting fittings and their bulbs or tubes with more energy efficient versions, without compromising on light levels within the store.
• Make energy efficiency an important concern when buying any new equipment or any building works in the future.
• Try to obtain our energy from more sustainable sources
If you are looking for any advice on how to recycle any of the packaging from our products, or where your nearest recycling point is, you'll find all the information you need on www.wasteconnect.co.uk
If you have any concerns or ideas to help us in our aim please feel free to contact us.